RFH: ghc

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 02:15:03PM +0530, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> just wondering if you could tell us about your current plans with regard
> to GHC 7? Are you going to upload it to experimental or unstable, and
> approximately when?

My plan was to step down from maintaining it.  I should have done so
months ago already...  I'm pretty overwhelmed with things as it is and
that's not going to change anytime soon.

So I suppose this is an RFH message.  I can still stick around as a
comaintainer but it's a bit too much for myself alone.  What's the
Haskell team's preferred VCS?  I prefer darcs myself but I suppose git
is good too.

I suppose uploading GHC 7 to unstable is fine already since it won't
replace ghc6 packages due to renaming it to ghc.  Just add a ghc6
pseudopackage after the release.

I haven't yet tried building the new GHC or even had a good look at
it.  At least there are the usual things to do, like browsing through
copyright headers and updating debian/copyright and looking at the
build system, to see what's changed.

Something needs to be done about the generated haddock documentation.
The -doc packages should be able to be enough without the -dev
packages, to build and maintain the index in ghc-doc, but that doesn't
happen now.