Re: please provide upgrade path for haskell-hdbc-doc

Hallo Joachim.

Excerpts from Joachim Breitner's message of Sáb Abr 17 07:01:05 -0300 2010:
(...)
> Am Samstag, den 17.04.2010, 03:10 +0200 schrieb Stefan Potyra:
> > > just wondering, since we need to add so many: Woundn’t it be easier to
> > > introduce a source package "haskell-doc-dummies" providing all the dummy
> > > package? This way, we would not have to change and rebuild 25 packages
> > > now and 25 package in two releases, when we want to finally drop the
> > > wrong names?

I just thought that we still need to do the changes in these 25 packages,
because they have unversioned Replaces: and Conflicts:.  I noticed that
there're some packages with wrong -doc package names, and added them to [1].
We need to change the -doc package name in these packages, using versioned
Replaces and Conflicts, like in [2].  Volunteers (DD and not) are welcome
again.

Also, there're some packages without -prof package: I'll take a look at this in
another round of uploads, but if someone wishes to add them when changing the
package, it's great.

(...)
> > Would a -dummy package bring apt to a sane upgrade path?
> > Let's consier haskell-hdbc-doc (2.1.0-3) to haskell-hdbc-doc (XYZ) as built by
> > haskell-doc-dummies. I assume that if (XYZ <= 2.1.0-3) then apt wouldn't
> > consider it an upgrade? (Maybe a version number based on a value larger than
> > the maximum of all affected binary package versions of -doc packages might
> > work, haven't checked that yet).
>
> you are correct, the version number needs to be the maximum over all
> packages, which is no problem. Just use an epoch, i.e. a version of 1:1.

I don't see the need for an epoch.  We can just use the version of the original
package that was released without the old package name.

Auf Wiedersehen.

1: http://wiki.debian.org/Haskell/CollabMaint/UploadCoordination
2: http://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package
(...)