Re: ITP: haskell-dbus -- Haskell bindings for D-Bus API

Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva <marcot@debian.org> disse:

> Hi Rafael.
>
> Excerpts from Rafael Cunha de Almeida's message of Qua Dez 29 17:47:31 -0200 2010:
> (...)
>> I've created the new package at:
>>
>>     darcs.debian.org:/darcs/pkg-haskell/haskell-dbus
>
> Is the package usable without libdbus headers?  You probably want to add
> libdbus-1-dev as a dependency for libghc6-dbus-dev.  For instance,
> libghc6-gtk-dev depends on libgtk2.0-dev.

It seems to work fine. It is curious to me that libghc6-gtk-dev would
depend on libgtk2.0-dev. Do you know why that happens? Being it a
haskell library, why would C headers be needed for anything?

> Also, I don't see much point in libghc6-dbus-prof recommending dbus, maybe only
> libghc6-dbus-dev recommending it is enough.  Is dbus useful for building packages
> or for using the binaries produced?  Maybe it can be a Suggests.

A binary produced with libghc6-dbus-dev is probably unusable without
dbus installed. Policy 7.2 says "The Recommends field should list
packages that would be found together with this in all but unusual
installations". I consider an installation that's capable of compiling a
program but not running it afterwards an unusual installation.

Since prof already depends on dev, it shouldn't make a difference if it
recommends the same packages or not, right? However, let's take  the
scenario of someone who, for whatever reason, have libghc6-dbus-dev
installed but not prof or dbus. Then, when that person is to install
prof, shouldn't he be reminded that prof recommends dbus? What's the
harm in having it stated both in prof and dev?

> Have you sent the patch upstream?

No. I was waiting to see if any of you would have comments on them.

> And as Joachim said, don't forget to run lintian, maybe even with --pedantic,
> ignoring no-upstream-changelog.

I have included the close bug tag. If I use lintian on the .changes that
pdebuild creates in the parent directory from where it was called, then
it reports nothing. But it does report something if I run on
/var/cache/pbuilder/result's .changes. The difference is that the former
includes the .deb. Is that the best file to run lintian on or is there a
even better target?

> Greetings.
> (...)
> --