Re: What is the process for creating/uploading new packages?

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 22.12.2010, 00:29 +0300 schrieb Eugene Kirpichov:
> 2010/12/22 Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org>:
> > Note that maintaining Debian packages is a bit more work than creating a
> > Cabal package, because of all the processes around it and guidelines and
> > stuff. If that sounds more interesting than scary: You are welcome!
> Scary but I see no other way to give my apps any serious adoption
> outside the haskell community :)

Well, the other way is to hope that a Debian developer picks it up. I
might if the list of currently missing dependencies is not too long,
does not contain very weird or untrustworthy stuff and I find the
time... might take a week or two till I have that.

> > A good start may be the packaging of other haskell programs, e.g.
> > http://darcs.debian.org/pkg-haskell/bluetile/ or
> > http://darcs.debian.org/pkg-haskell/alex/ or, well, pick any from
> > http://pkg-haskell.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/pet.cgi
> >
> > These repositories contain just the Debian repository of the packaging,
> > so extract it in your source directory.
> >
> Yeah, I've already based my package on this. Is it supposed to build
> with a single "debuild (no arguments)" command? Didn't work for me
> (will ask more questions tomorrow), I had to do "debuild -T
> install/timeplot" and alike (which of course didn't work because of
> all the unpackaged dependencies)

It should definitely build by running "debuild -uc -us".

> >> Do you mean and we must have all haskell dependencies of the packages
> >> also packaged? Is it because the package has to be buildable from
> >> source, or is that also necessary for binary builds?
> >
> > Both: All our package have to be buildable using stuff in Debian by our
> > users; and because we auto-build packages for many architectures (and
> > for other reasons, such as security support), they need to be buildable
> > by our auto-builders. So yes, each and every dependency has to be
> > packaged in Debian.
> >
> > It’d be a help already if you could identify the set of packages
> > required, but not yet in Debian. On
> > http://people.debian.org/~nomeata/hackagevsdebian.html
> > you can see which packages are in Debian already.
> >
> OK, I see.
>
> What if I have packaged a new library - how do I upload it? Am I
> required to use the debian.haskell.org darcs repo, etc?
> Also, I didn't quite understand what's up with the "source/format =
> 3.0 (quilt)" stuff - debuilds didn't work with it, complaining about
> absence of an .orig.tar file, I had to change to 3.0 (native) and
> ignore some warnings..

hmm, about the .orig.tar stuff I suggest you read
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/... :-)

> Generally, if I upload my "debianization" of a package somewhere, is
> it reasonable to expect that someone will criticize and correct me? :)

Yes. For a start you can use the infrastructure in place at
http://mentors.debian.net/.

BTW, do you use Debian or Ubuntu yourself as a user?