Re: What is the process for creating/uploading new packages?

Hi Eugene,

Am Dienstag, den 21.12.2010, 16:32 +0300 schrieb Eugene Kirpichov:
> 2010/12/21 Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org>:
> > In the former case, you should tell us what software it is and kindly
> > ask, and we (the Debian Haskell Group) will probably maintain the
> > package for you.
> Yes, it is the "former" case - I want my package to be installable in,
> say, Ubuntu, by sudo apt-get install mypackage.
>
> I'm refering to these two applications:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/timeplot and
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/splot
>
> I'd happily do the package maintenance myself if that could speed up
> the process, but I just need to know what to do :)

ah, I see these are binaries, not Haskell libraries. The main focus of
the DHG is libraries (these benefit most from a streamlined, consistent
packaging) and with executables, there is more special work to do –
ensuring that manpages exist, answering user’s bug reports and so on.

Therefore, I’d like to see such a package to have a proper maintainer
that feels responsible for such issues. He is still welcome to use the
DHG infrastructure (as Trent is doing with Darcs). Anyone in the DHG
interested in taking over the two *plot programs? These are nice
programs, and we should have them!

There are also quite a number of dependencies not in Debian yet, which
would have to be packaged.

@Eugene: A manpage (if not present already) would be very welcome, as
Debian’s policy dictates one for every installed binary.