Re: What is the process for creating/uploading new packages?

Hi Eugene,

Am Dienstag, den 21.12.2010, 20:00 +0300 schrieb Eugene Kirpichov:
> 2010/12/21 Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org>:
> >> Yes, it is the "former" case - I want my package to be installable in,
> >> say, Ubuntu, by sudo apt-get install mypackage.
> >>
> >> I'm refering to these two applications:
> >> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/timeplot and
> >> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/splot
> >>
> >> I'd happily do the package maintenance myself if that could speed up
> >> the process, but I just need to know what to do :)
> >
> > ah, I see these are binaries, not Haskell libraries. The main focus of
> > the DHG is libraries (these benefit most from a streamlined, consistent
> > packaging) and with executables, there is more special work to do –
> > ensuring that manpages exist, answering user’s bug reports and so on.
> >
> > Therefore, I’d like to see such a package to have a proper maintainer
> > that feels responsible for such issues. He is still welcome to use the
> > DHG infrastructure (as Trent is doing with Darcs). Anyone in the DHG
> > interested in taking over the two *plot programs? These are nice
> > programs, and we should have them!
>
> I myself would be OK with doing all the maintenance for these
> packages, if only I knew how it is done :)
> (at the moment, I'm struggling to build a package and upload it to my
> first-ever PPA on launchpad)

Note that maintaining Debian packages is a bit more work than creating a
Cabal package, because of all the processes around it and guidelines and
stuff. If that sounds more interesting than scary: You are welcome!

A good start may be the packaging of other haskell programs, e.g.
http://darcs.debian.org/pkg-haskell/bluetile/ or
http://darcs.debian.org/pkg-haskell/alex/ or, well, pick any from
http://pkg-haskell.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/pet.cgi

These repositories contain just the Debian repository of the packaging,
so extract it in your source directory.

> > There are also quite a number of dependencies not in Debian yet, which
> > would have to be packaged.
> Do you mean and we must have all haskell dependencies of the packages
> also packaged? Is it because the package has to be buildable from
> source, or is that also necessary for binary builds?

Both: All our package have to be buildable using stuff in Debian by our
users; and because we auto-build packages for many architectures (and
for other reasons, such as security support), they need to be buildable
by our auto-builders. So yes, each and every dependency has to be
packaged in Debian.

It’d be a help already if you could identify the set of packages
required, but not yet in Debian. On
http://people.debian.org/~nomeata/hackagevsdebian.html
you can see which packages are in Debian already.