Re: ghc6 still fails to build on ia64; what to do?

Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> writes:
> Am Sonntag, den 14.02.2010, 14:46 +0100 schrieb Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt:
>> Well, building of -9 failed again, so I guess the bootstrapping is not
>> the only problem. Note that merulo is slightly newer than caballero
>> (Madison core vs. the older McKinley core), so the differences we are
>> seeing might be related to this. Perhaps someone from the ia64 porters
>> could shed some light on this?
> Are there porters on d-release, or should someone actually notify them
> about this problem?

The latter, I guess.

> Assuming nobody steps up to fix this, or nobody is able to, what is the
> plan B: Somewhen the Haskell packages will be ready on the other arches
> (there are issues to sort out until then, but solvable ones). Will we
> just remove the ia64 haskell packages then?

If the ia64 porters don't step up to do their job, we will first start
removing binary packages that are not ported and will then start to
consider dropping ia64 as a release arch. That's the worst-case
scenario which wouldn't make me happy at all. ia64 hardware is,
after all, still actively developed, so people using and porting to it
should be around.

Marc
--
BOFH #19: