Re: ghc6 still fails to build on ia64; what to do?

Kari Pahula wrote:
> I've been trying out various linker flags on merulo and finally found
> ones that got ghc6 to build on ia64.  Unfortunately, that didn't still
> work on the ia64 buildd.

> Both stages pass successfully on merulo.  On the buildd, the build
> fails right at the start of stage 2 with a segfault.  I tested the
> compiler on merulo by building a stage 3 compiler (ie. ghc built with
> the stage 2 compiler) which seems to be a pretty strong indication
> that I have a working compiler.
>
> The lack of ghc6 on ia64 has kept it from testing since 6.10.1.  I
> never got it built with a 6.10 compiler but seems like we're pretty
> close to getting there with 6.12.  Is it impossible that there's
> something wrong with the buildd?  Could I just upload the package that
> I built on merulo?  Any advice on this?

Yes, you can upload the package that builds on merulo as you obviously
tested it quite well.

It is possible thqt there is something wrong with the buildd, though it
would be good to see if the haskell packages compile ok with the
compiler you built on merulo, so please upload and we could try to
rebuild ghc6 on the buildd afterwards.

Cheers

Luk