Re: build-depend on doc packages?

Hi David.

Em Sáb, 2009-11-28 às 14:18 -0800, David Fox escreveu:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Ketil Malde <ketil@malde.org> wrote:
> > David Fox <ddssff@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Give me working links or give me no links at all
> >
> > Presumably it would be possible to provide links to a common page
> > explaining the situation if the docs aren't installed?  (Like the
> > "man undocumented" manpage)
(...)
> Would it say "this link leads to a page
> in package haskell-blahblah-doc which is not installed"?  Or would it
> just say there is some package out there that you could install to see
> this documentation?

The first option would surely be better, but I don't know how any of
these options could be implemented.

About moving the -doc packages to Depends in other -doc packages, I
don't like the idea, because of my personal use case.  I don't usually
install any documentation package but, sometimes, I install one -doc,
check some information, and the remove it again.  If it depended in all
-doc packages behind it, I'd have to do a big download and installation
just to check some lines of a small documentation package.  I think use
cases like this may be usual.

By using Recommends we give this option to the user, adding that he
probably would like to install this package.  If we change it to
Depends, we remove this option of the user.

Greetings.
(...)

--
marcot