Re: build-depend on doc packages?

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Trent W. Buck <twb@cybersource.com.au> wrote:

>>> The option I use is the 2nd, but the other -doc packages are
>>> Recommends.  Notice that dh_haskell_depends will create the
>>> ${haskell:Recommends} variable if you wish to use it, so it's kind of
>>> the policy.
>>
>> 1) loses an important feature, while 3) might annoy people that want
>> to save bandwidth/disk space. So 2) with recommends is really neat
>> IMHO and should be best practice.
>
> GHC alone[0] is already too annoying to install on a system where space
> is tight, so I wouldn't worry about (3) making it worse.  Having said
> that, my vote would be for (2).
>
> [0]  280MB on ARM!  That's bigger than my entire internal disk!

Ok, if we're voting, I vote for 3, basically for the same reason JB
voted for 2.  In this day and age, if space is a consideration you are
going to want to go all out - remove all the documentation.  If you're
not trying to run a Haskell on a wristwatch a few meg of doc packages
won't be noticed.  Give me working links or give me no links at all
(apologies to Patrick Henry.)