Re: Debian on Zaurus works, what now?

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:28:44PM +0100, W. Borgert wrote:

> > Strange - what hardware are you running on? Were there any error
> > messages?
>
> I have an SL-5500G.  There were error messages, but I don't
> remember them.  I think the socket connection failed, so
> maybe the X server didn't start.  Sorry.

This may be one of the known bugs listed on the web page:

- the new OZ versions mount the SD/MMC and CF cards in a secure mode with
  device files disabled, which unfortunately completely breaks the chroot
  environment. A symptom is that you get weird messages about devices
  such as /dev/null not working, and you may just get a blank X11 screen
  without any user interface.

  As a workaround, run the following from the command line:

	mount /mnt/card -o remount,dev,suid,exec

> I'm not sure about the memory I need for pyGTK apps.
> I will see.

That should not be a problem. The Perl GTK binding worked fine even on
the 32MB SL-5000D, except for the startup time being a bit long. If you
haven't done so already, I'd highly recommend using a kernel
configuration that makes most memory available to applications, rather
than the 32MB/32MB memory/RAMdisk default split.

-Klaus