Re: Sound card issue?

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:48:33PM +0200, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> On 7/11/19 6:16 PM, David Ranch wrote:
>

> >  Can you connect a set of headphones into into the radio's audio out
> > jack and confirm you still can hear expected demodulated audio?  This
> > will confirm a lot of basics.
>
> Hello David,
>
> Ok, I will try that although I do not see much reason because the same radio
> runs APRS excellently with my laptop comp, also running Debian 8. The
> problem appears on desktop(s). But I will try.
>
>   After that, maybe you can do some live
> > playback of audio as heard from your souncard.  Something like this
> > would work assuming you substitute in the correct sound card values and
> > connect your headphones to the appropreate soundcard output:
> >
> > arecord -D plughw:CARD=Device,DEV=0 -t wav -f S16_LE -r 48000 -d 10 - | \
> > aplay -Dplughw:CARD=Device,DEV=0 -
> >

> Will try that too ...
>

> > Ps.  I don't know why you oped to installed Debian 8.x aka.. Jessie but
> > as mainline security updates ended back on June 2018. It's only
> > receiving critical (but much slower) security updates through June
> > 2020.  Since you're starting with a new OS, why not start with something
> > that will have the longest life?  That would be Debian Buster.
> >

> I know that Debian 8 is not 'young & fresh' but my computers are even older
> and would hardly accept newer OSes. And some other machines I have (two
> desktops and a laptop) still run Debian 8. So if I had different OSes on
> different hardware, it would be even harder to locate the problem.

Hello Misko,

This is tangential to your original question, but I wanted to mention
that I have recently been through similar frustrations.  I ended up
using a dedicated a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ to control my rig.  It has low
power draw, multiple USB ports, and plenty of CPU to build and run
WSJT-X, tqsl, and the other software I use.  But the main advantage is
that changes to my desktop machine don't affect my rig and vice-versa.
It runs Raspbian updated to Debian 10 (buster).

Cheers,
tony KG7IEL