Re: Sound card issue?

On 7/11/19 6:16 PM, David Ranch wrote:

Can you connect a set of headphones into into the radio's audio out jack and confirm you still can hear expected demodulated audio?  This will confirm a lot of basics.

Hello David,

Ok, I will try that although I do not see much reason because the same radio runs APRS excellently with my laptop comp, also running Debian 8. The problem appears on desktop(s). But I will try.

  After that, maybe you can do some live
playback of audio as heard from your souncard.  Something like this would work assuming you substitute in the correct sound card values and connect your headphones to the appropreate soundcard output:

arecord -D plughw:CARD=Device,DEV=0 -t wav -f S16_LE -r 48000 -d 10 - | \
aplay -Dplughw:CARD=Device,DEV=0 -

Will try that too ...

Ps.  I don't know why you oped to installed Debian 8.x aka.. Jessie but as mainline security updates ended back on June 2018. It's only receiving critical (but much slower) security updates through June 2020.  Since you're starting with a new OS, why not start with something that will have the longest life?  That would be Debian Buster.

I know that Debian 8 is not 'young & fresh' but my computers are even older and would hardly accept newer OSes. And some other machines I have (two desktops and a laptop) still run Debian 8. So if I had different OSes on different hardware, it would be even harder to locate the problem.

Misko YT7MPB