Re: Live Image

Hello Hibby,

When I say i386, I really mean i686!

Excellent!

I have been working on this for a while in the background specifically
for Raspberry Pi and have a working prototype and scripts for Jessie
that need updated.

Ok.. good stuff and I've been working on the Pi for a while now too.  To the package points, etc, you can see what I've done here:

   #Focuses on hardening and packet
   #
   http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/RPi/rpi2-setup.html

That said, there's no reason I/Someone can't make one and distrubute it
separate from the pure blend, however.

I assume you've seen Andy's HamRadio ISO?  It does much of what you're trying to do (other than learn yourself):

   https://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-andysham/

Outside of the Raspi universe, it's possible to do a generic build for
any of the Debian supported architectures, depening on the support in
the live-build tool for them. However, package support gets a little
more patchy on the exotic architectures/kernels. No ax.25 on kfreebsd or
Hurd kernel, for example...

Oh.. I didn't even know that Debian supported non-Linux kernels!  Supporting rare configurations is probably not a good use of your time as I bet very very few people, if any, will use them.

But xastir does build for m68k. I wonder if we could do an m68k live
image. Hmmmmmmm.

Hahah.. see above when a Raspberry Pi for $35 will blow away a 68000 based setup.  It's just not worth it anymore other than the people who want to design their own board and just do it for the Makers sense.

I've not played with xfce in about 10 years, it had totally slipped mymind! I've not played with LMDE at all... yet! Thanks for the suggestions.

XFCE is very light weight and fast but depending on the GUI application you want to run, you'll have to drag in either QT (seems the most popular these days), FLTK (Fl-suite), GTk+ (for older HAM apps), etc.

At the moment, debian testing for Xastir & AX.25 is as up to date as it
can get

Right.. which is bad as the AX.25 packages currently packaged are known buggy.. VERY buggy.

... because they're my packages and I like to keep them in line
with upstream. If there is anything you're aware of that the version in
testing is seriously behind the latest upstream release - please file a
bug and we can get it sorted :).

Been there.. done that.  Debian powers at be say "get them to tag a new release and publish it".  I asked that group several times to do so.  Nothing.  There have been forks of the source to resolve this but those forks didn't keep up with the official sources getting updates, etc. and now there are improvements on both sides.  It's a mess really.

Some applications do follow upstream svn snapshots - for example a new
build of chirp is pulled in more or less every quarter to keep apace
with development there.

Hmmm.. that's good to hear.. and a good example of another project that won't make releases.  I just don't know why other groups won't do this for say libax25, ax25apps, ax25tools, ax25utils.

Stable is a little more complicated as really it should only be security
updates and patches for bugs that go in. That said, there is a backports
mechanism to get things in...

Yup.. I've done so for my AX.25 program, Linpac.

--David
KI6ZHD