Live Image

G'day all!

It's been annoying me for a little while that the live images on our
pure blend website is horrifically out of date. It's oldstable, 8.5!
https://www.debian.org/blends/hamradio/get/live

We're now on 9.4, so this should probably be refreshed.

I couldn't find any source outside of a 3.6GB tarball, so I took the
liberty yesterday of starting a new project using the excellent
`live-build` tool and starting from scratch, and I put the scripts on
salsa last night once I was able to build a working image!

https://salsa.debian.org/debian-hamradio-team/hamradio-blend-livecd

Using the above you will be able to setup and build a live version of
the current state of Buster. Currently I do not have a test version of
this for download, but you can build it yourself instead!

There is a lot of tweaking to be done yet, but it's a good start and a
solid base for us to build from as a team, and should hopefully be
easy to maintain and document for the next few years.

My next steps are generating a stable release image, and committing the
changes to make that happen to salsa under a new branch called
'stretch'.

I've made a few design decisions I'd like input/feedback on:

Architecture: i386 w/ pae kernel.
This is to maximise hardware compatibility as it will run on almost every
x86/x86_64 system available today

Desktop environment: Mate
I tried LXQT but it catagorically didn't work, and the last release was
made under Mate so this seems like a good place to start.
It's not too heavy and not too alien for new users.

It includes the Debian Installer so if someone chooses to download and
install, it's all there waiting for them.

Package selection: All our metapackages are included. If your packages
aren't yet in the metapackages, please file a bug and someone will sort
that quickly!

I have a few queries:

If/Once we get to a state where the image is usable and we're all happy
with it, how do we put it on the blends website?

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to track issues with this?
It's not an official package and won't become one, so the bugtracker
might not work. Salsa doesn't offer issue tracking either :(.
Maybe a salsa wiki TODO list?

If everyone decides this is a waste of time, don't worry - I'm doing
another liveCD project with someone it provided valuable practise and
experience for!

Cheers,
DH