Re: aprsc in Debian

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 09:16:54PM +0300, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:
So, please, I ask you not to put aprsc in Debian at this point. Since it's
released as open source, I can not tell you not to, I can only ask, and try
to describe why I think it will not do much good.

Aha. Ok, I'll stop and move onto aprx then. (:

It was a replacement for aprsd we were looking for, and I guess aprx is a
far better replacement than aprsc for the average user.

Yes! As a matter of fact, aprsc is not a replacement for aprsd at all for the average user, since aprsc does not contain igate/digipeater functionality. It doesn't interface with radios, and that'd be the feature the end users really need.

aprsd contains a complete igate implementation, but it has some bugs. The most serious ones (non-ASCII byte mangling ones) have been patched in the debian version these days. aprx has better igate and digipeater functionality.

aprsd also contains a very outdated, incomplete APRS-IS server functionality. aprsc is a good, modern APRS-IS server - if you need one.

aprx is a client, aprsc is a server, aprsd is both a client and server but it's server does not implement the things current servers are supposed to do. And it's got some bugs in the igate client functionality too.

  - Hessu