Re: aprsc in Debian

Hi,

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 06:34:30PM +0300, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:
I'm not sure if that would bring any additional benefit at this point,
besides adding some complication and slowness to the release process.

The primary benefit I can see is the wider range of platforms that can be
supported.

It'd be cool, but honestly, I would find it helpful to the project right now if aprsc would not go into Debian at this point. From the angle of the APRS-IS network, we don't actually *need* additional platforms at this point. We have *too* *many* servers already - adding servers will consume more resources (both on other servers and our volunteers) than they can offer to the existing clients.

Having aprsc in Debian would only increase my personal workload, since even with the help I'd be getting from you, I'll still have to worry about supporting the debian upgrade paths, with the different file paths, and all. It's going to be different from the existing installation, which will unavoidably add more work for me, and I already have way too many things to support and maintain.

With the debian standard installation paths, some features (like the chroot *with* live upgrade support *and* config reloads) will not work.

So, please, I ask you not to put aprsc in Debian at this point. Since it's released as open source, I can not tell you not to, I can only ask, and try to describe why I think it will not do much good.

Please!

I will finish the package, as I have started. I recieve a notification when
new releases are made on GitHub and I do aim to complete new upstream
packages within a week of the release although I understand this may be too
long a delay.

It is too long sometimes.

Is there any other APRS-related software you'd like to see in Debian that
currently isn't?

aprx would be a great replacement for the buggy aprsd that is currently in there. Also, while aprx is a great igate software, it's installation is currently a bit tricky get right for new users. Even aprsc is easier to install at the moment.

There's a lot more igates out there than IS servers, and we actually would need more of them than we currently have, so any help in that sector would be greatly appreciated!

  - Hessu