Re: possible package adoption -- aprx

I am so glad you were able to help, more details below.

On 07/11/2014 01:20 AM, Chris Knadle wrote:
On Sunday, July 06, 2014 18:21:35 MJ Inabnit wrote:
Hi all:

I've been using aprx the last few years, however, a newer package is
required by igates.  The problem is that this package is broken and
won't run on my long term support OS's..  I just downloaded the latest
Mint xfce and tested it there with same broken results.

It would sure be a great asset I think if one of you guys could possible
adopt the package and make it functional on debian/ubuntu systems again.

Thanks, 73
Greetings, J.

It looks like the aprx package hasn't been in Debian in a long time; the last
distribution that may have contained it was Etch based on what I found here:

    http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en#Installation

Etch (aka Debian 4.x) went out of support in February, 2010:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Timeline

Could you please point out the aprx package you're using?  Is it this one?

    http://ham.zmailer.org/oh2mqk/aprx/

Yes, this is the package location. Later versions required some kind of openssl which was impossible for my 64 bit system to use.

The source for aprx has a /debian directory in it and there are a couple of
minor problems, but I'm able to get it to build without much trouble.  If
you're like to try the aprx package I just built to see if it helps the
problem you're running into, I uploaded it here:

    ftp://ftp.coredump.us/debian-packages/aprx/

If you try it, let me know what results you have with it.

I will download and try to install this with dpkg command this weekend. I'm excited about it!

When I search for APRS packages in Debian, I find that Debian has:

   $ apt-cache search aprs
   aprsd - Internet Gateway for the Automatic Position Reporting System
   aprsdigi - digipeater for APRS

   $ apt-cache show aprsd aprsdigi
   Package: aprsd
   [...]
   Description-en: Internet Gateway for the Automatic Position Reporting System
    aprsd is an internet to RF gateway (igate) for the APRS
    Automatic Position Reporting System. It allows hams on the Internet
    to send text messages to hams on RF, especially when linked to the
    worldwide APRServe network (www.aprs.net).

   Package: aprsdigi
   [...]
   Description-en: digipeater for APRS
    aprsdigi is a repeater for the Automatic Position Reporting System, APRS.
    It also includes aprsmon, a one-way gateway to APRS on TCP/IP.

Do these two packages essentially do the same thing as aprx?  The reason I'm
asking is that if an aprx package is to be re-introduced into Debian, it
likely needs to have some non-redundant functionality compared with the
alternatives.

Thanks

   -- Chris, KB2IQN

--

Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us

aprx is very versatile in how it works and how it can use interfaces. It can use ax25 stack from kernel, or touch ports directly in several modes, this is what I use here at my station. It is also so small that I can use it 24/7 without putting the old machine into heat stroke. Right now I'm using xastir which is a resource hog and nowhere nearly as elegant as aprx.

I will report back with details on your package soon as possible.

Again, thank you for your interest!

73

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the acer w/thunderchicken3