Re: possible package adoption -- aprx

On Sunday, July 06, 2014 18:21:35 MJ Inabnit wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I've been using aprx the last few years, however, a newer package is
> required by igates.  The problem is that this package is broken and
> won't run on my long term support OS's..  I just downloaded the latest
> Mint xfce and tested it there with same broken results.
>
> It would sure be a great asset I think if one of you guys could possible
> adopt the package and make it functional on debian/ubuntu systems again.
>
> Thanks, 73

Greetings, J.

It looks like the aprx package hasn't been in Debian in a long time; the last
distribution that may have contained it was Etch based on what I found here:

   http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en#Installation

Etch (aka Debian 4.x) went out of support in February, 2010:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Timeline

Could you please point out the aprx package you're using?  Is it this one?

   http://ham.zmailer.org/oh2mqk/aprx/

The source for aprx has a /debian directory in it and there are a couple of
minor problems, but I'm able to get it to build without much trouble.  If
you're like to try the aprx package I just built to see if it helps the
problem you're running into, I uploaded it here:

   ftp://ftp.coredump.us/debian-packages/aprx/

If you try it, let me know what results you have with it.

When I search for APRS packages in Debian, I find that Debian has:

  $ apt-cache search aprs
  aprsd - Internet Gateway for the Automatic Position Reporting System
  aprsdigi - digipeater for APRS

  $ apt-cache show aprsd aprsdigi
  Package: aprsd
  [...]
  Description-en: Internet Gateway for the Automatic Position Reporting System
   aprsd is an internet to RF gateway (igate) for the APRS
   Automatic Position Reporting System. It allows hams on the Internet
   to send text messages to hams on RF, especially when linked to the
   worldwide APRServe network (www.aprs.net).

  Package: aprsdigi
  [...]
  Description-en: digipeater for APRS
   aprsdigi is a repeater for the Automatic Position Reporting System, APRS.
   It also includes aprsmon, a one-way gateway to APRS on TCP/IP.

Do these two packages essentially do the same thing as aprx?  The reason I'm
asking is that if an aprx package is to be re-introduced into Debian, it
likely needs to have some non-redundant functionality compared with the
alternatives.

Thanks

  -- Chris, KB2IQN

--