Re: chirp 0.3.0-0.1 Debian package available

On Friday, April 05, 2013 02:46:15, David A Aitcheson wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Did you try the "Chirp-Daily" package? It is almost DAILY in its updates
> and working FB for me on Ubuntu 12.04-LTS.

I'm running Debian Sid/Unstable.

> Please look at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chirp before you
> proceed much more.

The above package shows version 0.1.12 -- it wouldn't have worked for me.  And
besides, I've actually /completed/ packaging 0.3.0 (AFAIK, except if there are
further desired changes) -- and I'm actually using it, and it does the job I
need it to do.  ;-)

> The PPA for chirp is at
> https://launchpad.net/~dansmith/+archive/chirp-snapshots

I've often had issues using Ubuntu PPAs on Debian.  Sometimes they work...
sometimes they don't, due to differences between the distributions, usually in
dependencies.

Now... having a look at it, the closest package that would fit in the PPA
would be the one for Precise (because Debian Sid is by definition 6 months
newer than Ubuntu releases), but the chirp-daily package for Precice in this
PPA doesn't have a version available for amd64.  I've downloaded the source
package so I can have a look and compare it with the packge I just put
together.

> Dave - KB3EFS
>
> PS - A fork similar to this is what caused all the problems with "NODE".
> Did we not learn anything from that drawn out over more than a decade mess?

Debian packages are generally based on "stable" tested versions of upstream
projects rather than daily builds, so (AFAIK) it would probably not be fitting
to pull this Ubuntu PPA package into Debian.

The main issue I know about with the "node" package was the naming conflict; I
wasn't aware of the fork issue.  This isn't a fork of of the chirp package,
it's just a different package version of the same software with the same name.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us