Re: SOLVED: adding hamradio menus to gnome

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 11:11:56AM +0100, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> Op di, 15-11-2005 te 20:44 +1100, schreef Hamish Moffatt:
> > I really think the gnome-menus package should do this instead. Users
> > shouldn't need to install an extra package to do this.
>
> You may be right here, but I wasn't really impressed by the feedback we
> have had on the debian-gtk-gnome list. I doubt that a patch will ever
> make it into the gnome-menus package...
>
> > Have you filed a wishlist bug report against gnome-menus?
> > I don't think there was any feedback on the debian-gtk-gnome list.
>
> I would prefer using the package if you don't mind. As a bonus, we could
> use the same package for xfce4 (or an other desktop) which uses the
> freedesktop standard and maybe rename it to hamradio-menus. Whatsay?

Hmm. Does your package edit gnome-applications.menu, or create a new
file? Will GNOME find a new file?

I notice that kdebase-data provides equivalent files - kde-* in
/etc/xdg/menus, directory files in /usr/share/desktop-directories.
(Incidentally GNOME polutes the latter directory by not using some sort
of gnome prefix.)

What will cause the hamradio-gnome package to be installed? Just manual?
I don't know if any of our other packages should actually depend on it.

I would prefer to try the GNOME crowd again, please. The KDE crowd too.
They really should not have any objection. I opened bug#339305 against
gnome-menus.

Now that I have the Debian menu back in my GNOME menu (install the
menu-xdg package), perhaps it's not so important.

Hamish