SOLVED: adding hamradio menus to gnome

I have dug a bit deeper into the matter. Menu-merging appears to be
implemented into gnome, according to the freedesktop standard at:
http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/menu-spec

I have created a debian package which does just this:
1) creates a hamradio menu in /etc/xdg/menus/gnome-applications-merged
2) adds a hamradio.directory in /usr/share/desktop-directories
3) adds a menu icon

The experimental package is available at:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~pa4tu/tmp/hamradio-gnome_1.0_all.deb

Please test and report! If okay I will upload to debian.

An important note from README.Debian:
For the hamradio submenu to appear in the gnome menu there should be a
package available using the "HamRadio" category (case sensitive). To use
this category, simply add a line with: "Categories=HamRadio" to
the .desktop file belonging to the package.

e.g. gmfsk uses "Ham Radio" which is incorrect.
So, you must check if your package uses a .desktop file
in /usr/share/applications and if the HamRadio category is used.....

Regards,
Joop PG4I
--
Linux for your hamradio desktop