Re: Question to the Debian GNOME maintainers about udev

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 15:07 -0400, Derek Piper wrote:

> So, in order to upgrade my kernel now, I needed a newer udev. Great,
> I'll use the one on backports.org. It's 0.087. This works on one machine
> (that doesn't use gnome) but for another machine (where I'd like to use
> a feature gnome, i.e. the mixer) I cannot upgrade it conflicts with
> 'hotplug' that is tied to gnome, therefore tying gnome with the old udev.

gnome-volume-manager is not the mixer but a package to allow for the
automatic mounting of volumes-- like cdroms, usb keys, etc.  You want
the gnome-volume-control program (that is the name of gnome's 'mixer'),
and it is in the gnome-media package:

$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control
gnome-media: /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control

Jamie Strandboge

--
Targeted Performance Partners, LLC
Web: http://www.tpptraining.com