Question to the Debian GNOME maintainers about udev

	Hi,

I apologise for the cross-posting and if this is not the right forum in which to bring this up, but I'd like to ask this: *Why* does gnome have a dependency to udev? Can it not simply utilize the hotplug features of udev if it exists and just use the regular /dev directory if not?
	I am in this predicament:

I want to upgrade a couple of machines to kernel 2.6.16

Apparently you need a later version of udev than is in the debian stable branch (0.056). I upgraded another machine to 2.6.16 but not the udev and it crashed relatively quickly. Updated the udev from backports.org to 0.087 and all is fine. In doing so it removed gnome from that machine, not to worry on that one since I wasn't using it anyway.

The problem is that I have another machine that I use for audio work that I would like to have the gnome-volume-control available on but I want to upgrade its kernel too. Now the dependency rears its ugly head since I can't upgrade udev without uninstalling gnome (I guess because udev gets uninstalled and then drags off gnome with it). I want the latest kernel on here to make sure I get all the driver updates since I'm resolving sound issues.

If gnome just RECOMMENDED the hotplug/udev package instead of being tied to it it'd be a *lot* smarter and would allow udev to be upgraded independently of gnome, which is the way is should be since they really don't RELY on each other.

I moved to Debian so I didn't have to do all this dependency-hell like Redhat so I'm kind of aggravated by it.

	So, back to the original question. Why have a dependency?

	Derek

PS: I also apologise if this has been beaten to death previously. I searched for 'gnome' and 'udev' on the mailing list search and didn't see anything.

--
Derek Piper - dcpiper@indiana.edu - (812) 856 0111
IRI 323, School of Informatics