Re: Question to the Debian GNOME maintainers about udev

Il giorno mer, 05/04/2006 alle 11.54 -0400, Derek Piper ha scritto:
> 	Hi,
>
> 	I apologise for the cross-posting and if this is not the right forum in
> which to bring this up, but I'd like to ask this: *Why* does gnome have
> a dependency to udev? Can it not simply utilize the hotplug features of
> udev if it exists and just use the regular /dev directory if not?
> 	I am in this predicament:
>
> I want to upgrade a couple of machines to kernel 2.6.16
>
> Apparently you need a later version of udev than is in the debian stable
> branch (0.056). I upgraded another machine to 2.6.16 but not the udev
> and it crashed relatively quickly. Updated the udev from backports.org
> to 0.087 and all is fine. In doing so it removed gnome from that
> machine, not to worry on that one since I wasn't using it anyway.
>
> The problem is that I have another machine that I use for audio work
> that I would like to have the gnome-volume-control available on but I
> want to upgrade its kernel too. Now the dependency rears its ugly head
> since I can't upgrade udev without uninstalling gnome (I guess because
> udev gets uninstalled and then drags off gnome with it). I want the
> latest kernel on here to make sure I get all the driver updates since
> I'm resolving sound issues.
>
> If gnome just RECOMMENDED the hotplug/udev package instead of being tied
> to it it'd be a *lot* smarter and would allow udev to be upgraded
> independently of gnome, which is the way is should be since they really
> don't RELY on each other.

Actually "gnome" ships hal, which requires udev for most hardware-magic
support, including hotplugging. As of ~080 -can't remember the exact
number- "hotplug" itself has been deprecated and udev provides
hotplugging support -including firmware management, my dsl usb modem
works fine thanks to that support- AFAIK.

I'm sorry I don't understand the "independent udev upgrade" and "rely on
each other" issues, though. I don't see what's the problem, therefore.

~marco