Re: Question to the Debian GNOME maintainers about udev

Marco Cabizza wrote:
Il giorno mer, 05/04/2006 alle 11.54 -0400, Derek Piper ha scritto:

If gnome just RECOMMENDED the hotplug/udev package instead of being tied to it it'd be a *lot* smarter and would allow udev to be upgraded independently of gnome, which is the way is should be since they really don't RELY on each other.

Actually "gnome" ships hal, which requires udev for most hardware-magic
support, including hotplugging. As of ~080 -can't remember the exact
number- "hotplug" itself has been deprecated and udev provides
hotplugging support -including firmware management, my dsl usb modem
works fine thanks to that support- AFAIK.

I'm sorry I don't understand the "independent udev upgrade" and "rely on
each other" issues, though. I don't see what's the problem, therefore.

Okay, what version of udev is in Debian Sarge (stable) right now? 0.056

I need a newer version of udev in order to run a kernel after 2.6.15. See here if you're not aware of this: http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2006/02/msg00111.html

So, in order to upgrade my kernel now, I needed a newer udev. Great, I'll use the one on backports.org. It's 0.087. This works on one machine (that doesn't use gnome) but for another machine (where I'd like to use a feature gnome, i.e. the mixer) I cannot upgrade it conflicts with 'hotplug' that is tied to gnome, therefore tying gnome with the old udev.

Am I explaining my problem better?

	Thanks,

	Derek

--