Re: Please test the experimental gconf2

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 12:31:29PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> It looks like a weird setup. Can't you work things out with sabayon
> desktop profiles?

I don't think it is weird. Basically I want every software configuration
change I made on one machine to appear automatically on the other
machine too, while leaving hardware-related settings (keyboard, mixer)

I haven't heard about sabayon before, but from a quick read it requires
configuration changes to be made in a separate xnest session while I
want changes in my _current_ session to be detected & transferred to some
transfer medium. I also need a way to explicitely ignore some
configuration items because the hardware _is_ different on the machines
I want to synchronize.

> If you remove the %gconf-tree.xml file, you will lose modifications you
> made since, but the previous directory structure is still here.

Yes, I since figured that out too.

> If some people really want to disable it, I can imagine an opt-out
> setup, but you should be aware it's going to become the default in GNOME
> 2.14 anyway.

I'm not sure it is a good idea. There is a good reason UNIX users always
preferred small per-application config files over big, monolithic
all-in-one solutions.

At least there should be a tool that does the reverse of
gconf-merge-tree so I can split %gconf-tree.xml before synchronization
and re-build it after synchronization.

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences