Re: Please test the experimental gconf2

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 12:35:41AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> First, I hereby proclaim the end of the overly long gconf subtrees.
> Following these suggestions:
> http://www.gnome.org/~lcolitti/gnome-startup/analysis/
> I have merged all gconf directory structures into flat-file sources.
> This means startup and runtime speed is improved, and it also means less
> cluttering on the disk. There is now only one file, named
> %gconf-tree.xml, for each directory structure. The system-wide
> directories are taken care in the postinst, and I have added a Xsession
> script for ~/.gconf.

I've finally upgraded gconf and burned myself. I synchronize my home
directory between two machines daily. Now, there are some gconf settings
(like evolution settings) I DO want to synchronize, and there are others
(like keyboard layout, mixer device etc). that must NOT be synchronized.
With the split structure I could just tell unison the directories it
should ignore but that no longer works with the merged gconf database.

So,

- How can I split the merged %gconf-tree.xml in $HOME/.gconf to the
  pervious directory structure?
- How can I disable the merging of gconf data on a per-user basis?

I think the merging of gconf data under user home directories should be
an opt-in solution and must not be done without the explicit agreement
of the user.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences