Release planning

Hello,

So, Loïc Minier has done a very good job of tracking needed work and
putting together some schedules, like these:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2005/09/msg00021.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2005/09/msg00072.html

I've written a small script which generates a page with useful
information on tracking what we've achieved so far and what needs work,
simply version-wise:

http://merkel.debian.org/~kov/gnome-packages.html

The script:

http://merkel.debian.org/~kov/get-gnome-versions.sh

Looking at the page I see we mostly achieve our goal of having GNOME2.10
in testing; we still have some ongoing transitions which need to be
finalized and stabilized, though, it seems, like the gconf tansition,
which caught many packages not using ${misc:Depends}:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2005/10/msg00070.html

Btw, Loïc and Josselin are doing an amazing job on having that
transition work, thanks! Also, there's discussion going on about how to
handle the new icon cache, which is also an important transition, also
being handled with lots of work by Sebastien, Loïc and Josselin. Please,
people, correct and enhance my view of what's missing, because I'm not
following stuff as closely as you are =(.

Now on to Release Planning: based on Steve Langasek's post about the
targeted release date

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/10/msg00004.html

We'd have:

N-110  = Mon  7 Aug 06: freeze base, non-essential toolchain (including
                        e.g. cdbs)
N-105  = Mon 14 Aug 06: d-i RC [directly after base freeze]
N-45   = Wed 18 Oct 06: general freeze [about 2 months after base
                        freeze, d-i RC]
N      = Mon  4 Dec 06: release [1.5 months for the general freeze]

That means we'd release quite close to when GNOME2.16 is supposed to be
shipping (which would be in October IIRC); that leaves us with GNOME2.14
as a target release version. Its schedule says:

March 15th  GNOME 2.14.0 Final Release!
(http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointThirteen)

So we have plenty of time to plan and stabilize our Debian GNOME
release. I believe we should start working on adding GNOME2.13 to
experimental as soon as we can get, so we'll be able to track what's
going on upstream more closely and influence the development of our
target release version while it's being done.

It doesn't make much sense to start working on GNOME2.13 after December,
though, since on Junuary 16th there's API/ABI and Feature/Modules freeze
and on February 1st the first Beta is released.

So what do you people think about all this? I really think working
earlier on GNOME2.13 would make a huge difference on how we can handle
transitions, even more if we're able to influence the actual GNOME
release process on going to the right direction, and not having to deal
with problems of released stuff.

Where to go from here? Speed up GNOME2.12's work and get it in unstable
ASAP, skip GNOME2.12 completely and start working on 2.13 right now on
experimental? Or the 'start working on GNOME2.13 while it's still under
development' thing does not appeal to the team and we should target
GNOME2.12 on unstable for mid-April?

See ya,

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>