Re: Release planning

KOV!

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:11:15AM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> I've written a small script which generates a page with useful
> information on tracking what we've achieved so far and what needs work,
> simply version-wise:
>
> http://merkel.debian.org/~kov/gnome-packages.html

This is *so* useful!

> N-110  = Mon  7 Aug 06: freeze base, non-essential toolchain (including
>                         e.g. cdbs)
> N-105  = Mon 14 Aug 06: d-i RC [directly after base freeze]
> N-45   = Wed 18 Oct 06: general freeze [about 2 months after base
>                         freeze, d-i RC]
> N      = Mon  4 Dec 06: release [1.5 months for the general freeze]
>
> That means we'd release quite close to when GNOME2.16 is supposed to be
> shipping (which would be in October IIRC); that leaves us with GNOME2.14
> as a target release version. Its schedule says:

GNOME 2.16.0 should be released around September, which could give us
time to do it if we coordinate well in advance with the release team.
It would be quite an achievement to release Debian with a current GNOME
version. :)

One might think that this proposal might slip at least one month,
although I really wish it won't.

> March 15th  GNOME 2.14.0 Final Release!
> (http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointThirteen)

> Where to go from here? Speed up GNOME2.12's work and get it in unstable
> ASAP, skip GNOME2.12 completely and start working on 2.13 right now on
> experimental? Or the 'start working on GNOME2.13 while it's still under
> development' thing does not appeal to the team and we should target
> GNOME2.12 on unstable for mid-April?

I think we should do a GNOME 2.12 cycle for unstable/testing as soon as
Mozilla is sorted out for the remainings of 2.10.

I think this team has lost much of the momentum we had just before
Sarge, and packaging an alpha release for experimental so early might
drain all the energies/new momentum that are being gathered with the final
2.10/2.12 efforts right now.

We should only start packaging 2.13 when the beta comes out.
Earlier tarballs are known to be quite buggy and we'd get a ton of bug
reports, which further takes away from our limited development time.

Jordi
jordi@sindominio.net     jordi@debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/