Re: Release planning

        Hi,

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> I've written a small script which generates a page with useful
> information on tracking what we've achieved so far and what needs work,
> simply version-wise:
> http://merkel.debian.org/~kov/gnome-packages.html

 Rocks!

>                                                                  Please,
> people, correct and enhance my view of what's missing, because I'm not
> following stuff as closely as you are =(.

 I think you got the important stuff listed, the biggest blocker still
 is mozilla, but it seems like it's slowly building everywhere.  That
 will help have yelp, mozilla-bonobo, galeon, and epiphany.

 SJ won't be easy to get in since it's bound to libmusicbrainz and
 friends.

> So we have plenty of time to plan and stabilize our Debian GNOME
> release. I believe we should start working on adding GNOME2.13 to
> experimental as soon as we can get, so we'll be able to track what's
> going on upstream more closely and influence the development of our
> target release version while it's being done.

 Well, it's a nice goal to have, but I'd prefer going through the stable
 GNOME releases and stabilizing them in Debian too prior to following
 the development releases.  I agree with trying to follow 2.13 in
 experimental once we have stabilized 2.12 in unstable+testing.  :)

> Where to go from here? Speed up GNOME2.12's work and get it in unstable
> ASAP, skip GNOME2.12 completely and start working on 2.13 right now on
> experimental? Or the 'start working on GNOME2.13 while it's still under
> development' thing does not appeal to the team and we should target
> GNOME2.12 on unstable for mid-April?

 I'd prefer going through 2.12.  Ubuntu has 2.12 packages we can look at
 any time we want.  :)

   Cheers,

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>