Re: GNOME 2.12

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
>  Yes, I agree with Alejandro. GNOME has a fixed release schedule and we
> don't. And though we can think that we are going to release in 18 months
> from Sarge release (which would be great), spending a lot of time in
> 2.10 is a waste of time, as for sure Etch is going to be released with
> at least 2.12. If we were just 2 months far from release, making this
> would be acceptable, but not just now.

 I suppose you have seen how much time it took to get gnome-vfs2 in
 testing and what a pain it was not being able to upload packages
 depending on gnome-vfs2 for more than 2 months.  If you recall that,
 you certainly are sensible to the list of ongoing transition (which are
 not necessarily GNOME ones).

 I checked with the release team what they would think of a Gtk
 transition (2.6 -> 2.8) right now, and they said it wouldn't be very
 reasonable.  I didn't ask for GNOME 2.12, but I imagine what the
 response would be, be it with or without the Gtk transition.

>  With this, I am not saying that GNOME 2.10 should be abandoned, but
> that 2.12 should start to be packaged and uploaded. Or it will happen
> that closer to our release, GNOME 2.14 is going to be released and we
> will want to include it in Etch, forcing people to jump from 2.10 to
> 2.14, which usually is more difficult and errors prone.

 As I proposed, why don't you comment on the way I proposed the schedule
 instead of proposing a brand new "let's upload G2.12, yeepee!" plan?

   Cheers,
--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>