Re: debian experimental == ubuntu hoary?

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 12:31:55PM +0000, Robert McQueen wrote:
> Dominik 'Aeneas' Schnitzer wrote:
> >That statement relates to my first mail: Gnome packages going into
> >ubuntu first and then beeing debianized: uu/hoary > experimental >
> >unstable > testing. Which makes a difference for me as a user, who likes
> >to try out the-fresh-stuff :) - but as you've pointed out this doesn't
> >make a difference for the distribution.
>
> He has already explained this is not the case. In Debian, stable gnome
> releases such as 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, etc, have gone into experimental
> and then been uploaded to unstable en masse when they're deemed to be
> working properly. This is still the case, even now Ubuntu exists, and
> has hired some of the GNOME maintainers.
>
> The difference now is that because hoary is planning to release with
> 2.10, which is not out yet, it currently contains packages of the 2.9
> development releases by way of a preview, and is less stable as a
> consequence. These would never have been in Debian anyway.

I think the main difference is that for ubuntu, hoary (or next-gen release) is
really a development release, while debian/unstable is really much more like a
substitute for unreleased stable or whatever, and thus ubuntu may be much more
concerned with the next release and what is in it, while debian places
not-breaking unstable at a much higher point, thus doing stuff in experimental
until it is more or less ready. This is more true once we reach the time of
the release, as is the case today, and also one of the reason why people often
consider debian/unstable as more stable than other distro's released stable
version.

But then ubuntu also has debian/unstable as a base to build from, so ...

Friendly,

Sven Luther