Re: debian experimental == ubuntu hoary?

Le samedi 22 janvier 2005 à 12:05 +0100, Dominik 'Aeneas' Schnitzer a
écrit :

> And if I understand the signs of the last weeks right, I guess debian
> experimental (speaking for Gnome) is now Ubuntu hoary (or UU/unstable).

No, debian experimental doesn't change. Usually the new devel branch is
not packaged from the beginning, that's too much work to handle the
update/bugs.

> "hoary" has Gnome 2.9.x, evolution 2.1.3. Evo 2.1.3 packages have made
> it into experimental, but a lot of required libraries are missing.

These libs are waiting in NEW due to some soname changes.

> The actual reason I'm writhing this, is that I just searched for evince
> (this cool new pdf/ps viewer :) packages in debian, and I only found
> packages for evince in hoary/universe (which shoudl be debian packages
> repackaged for UU?). Which made me think..

evince will probably be uploaded in experimental soon. The current
version has some issue and I was waiting for a new release to upload in
Debian.

> I fully understand the shift of focus from debian to ubuntu, from the
> developers point of view.

Could you explain ?

> But from a (bleeding-edge-gnome-)users point of view: Is Ubuntu now the
> bleeding edge to go to?

Debian has not changed. Ubuntu has packages from the devel branch of
GNOME. Be careful what you call bleeding edge also contains some bugs.

> I hope you understand my dilemma. I'm happy for any comments.

If you have a working box and expect to keep it stable to work you can
keep Debian. The GNOME releases are packaged fairly fast (ie: GNOME 2.10
will probably be quickly in experimental after the release).
If you want to play with the devel branche go for hoary (but don't
expect it to be as stable as 2.8).

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher