Re: debian experimental == ubuntu hoary?

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 12:34 +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > "hoary" has Gnome 2.9.x, evolution 2.1.3. Evo 2.1.3 packages have made
> > it into experimental, but a lot of required libraries are missing.
>
> These libs are waiting in NEW due to some soname changes.
>
> > [...]
>
> evince will probably be uploaded in experimental soon. The current
> version has some issue and I was waiting for a new release to upload in
> Debian.

that sounds like nice news!

> > I fully understand the shift of focus from debian to ubuntu, from the
> > developers point of view.
>
> Could you explain ?

Uh, aren't you getting paid for your work @ubuntu? That were my
thoughts :)

> If you have a working box and expect to keep it stable to work you can
> keep Debian. The GNOME releases are packaged fairly fast (ie: GNOME 2.10
> will probably be quickly in experimental after the release).
> If you want to play with the devel branche go for hoary (but don't
> expect it to be as stable as 2.8).

I think I'll then give ubuntu hoary a try -- for the sake of gnome2.9.x.
I learned to live without working window managers and evo's :)

thanks a lot for the clarification,
domi.
--
Dominik 'Aeneas' Schnitzer <dominik@schnitzer.at>