Evolution upgrade hell

Greetings,

<short version>
Upgrading Evolution just wiped out my contacts.  Do the old and new
versions have compatible addressbook.db formats?
</short version>

So evolution is finally in testing!  Hooray!

Not so fast.  Upgraded this morning, and when I ran evolution for the
first time, it successfully converted my mail and then crashed somewhere
in the contacts, calendar or tasks (I couldn't tell which, just that it
was called "Personal").  Okay, start again.  Not enough disk space to
convert.  Apparently, it can't recover from a partial conversion, but
wants to continue from where it left off.

Okay.  Blew away .evolution and started again.  Conversion this time
went smoothly, and evolution started.  Downloaded today's mail, and
began tagging spam, cool!

Not so fast.  Now I have two of every contact, for about 3600 instead of
1800.  Bummer, but not entirely unexpected during an upgrade of this
complexity.  Started deleting duplicate contacts, got through the As,
then started backing up .evolution to another machine.

Logged back in during the backup, and started evolution.

ALL OF MY CONTACTS HAVE DISAPPEARED!!

Unlike 1.4.6, it's not just the front end that has lost them (bug
234734), this time addressbook.db is pretty much empty!

So, I still have my 1.4 tree around.  Can I just:
cp evolution/local/Contacts/addressbook.db .evolution/addressbook/local/system/
?  Or has the format changed despite the identical filenames?

And what the heck is up with such massive breakage in a x.0.3 release??
Didn't evolution 2.0 come out many months ago?

Thanks,

-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg