Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 16:02 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> On lun, 2004-07-19 at 14:36 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > Well, i was under the understanding that it was gnome-session's fault, for
> > launching esd, but not killing it once it exists the session.
>
> According to this bug report:
>
> "had the very same problem with esound: I enabled auto spawn in esound
> (/etc/esound/esd.conf; auto_spawn=1) and it just works as expected :-)"
>
> So apparently a problem with esound default's configuration ...

I can confirm this. This is usually what I do and things work as
expected. Still I wish esd was smarter about letting other users from
the local computer connect to it, or quitting when the gnome-session for
a given user has been closed. And of course, there are a plethora of
other combinations, since GNOME is meant to be use just as well over a
network as in a single workstation, but those are harder issues to
solve.

> > though. At LinuxTag, sven told me that udev and gnome-volume-manager would be
> > the way to go, but the volume manager thingy cares only about CDs and such,
> > but not about usb sticks, so this failed also.
>
> g-v-m has a "Removable storage" place, I think it handles usb sticks
> (anybody to confirm ?)

I have one of those Lexmark usb card readers, which uses usb-storage
module from the 2.6 kernel. In order to get my media to mount
automatically when I inserted I put things like this in my /etc/fstab
file:

$> cat /etc/fstab | grep usb
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
# usb (scsi emulation)
/dev/sda1   /disks/usb vfat noauto,users,noexec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/sdb1   /disks/usb2 vfat noauto,users,noexec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/sdc1   /disks/usb3 vfat noauto,users,noexec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/sdd1   /disks/usb4 vfat noauto,users,noexec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/sde1   /disks/usb5 vfat noauto,users,noexec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/sdf1   /disks/usb6 vfat noauto,users,noexec,umask=000 0 0

This is of course a very very ugly solution. Debian should have a group,
call it "mount", whose members are allowed to use mount command as if
they were root on removable media. In other words, be allowed to mount
anything anywhere. That way, g-v-m or other script (hotplug) could pick
arbitrary mount points for user media. Users don't really care where
their media is mounted for as long as it's consistent. Say in the
"Computer" icon or simply displayed on the Desktop (with a path like
~/Desktop/usb1 ). In my case, I'm following Xandros ideas (and MacOS X,
and Solaris, etc...) of having a especial directory "/disks" where
removable disks get mounted and leave /mnt for other things (smb, nfs,
other partitions that get mounted automatically, etc...). Just makes
more sense from my point of view.

All other OSes allow users to mount removable media. I know this could
potentially be a security problem, but common, users should have a way
to enable it globally in their systems (especially Desktop users). My
hope is that HAL+udev+g-v-m will eventually change this, just like
nautilus-cd-burner has changed the way we burn disks (no need to open a
terminal not even to configure the darn drive so that cdrecord can find
it by simply typing cdrecord).

(Sorry that I got off-topic for a second. I couldn't resist the
temptation)

<snip>

Note: We are working on a program that will allow easy DVD creation
(with menus) for Linux. You could check it's progress in
http://polidori.sf.net. I'm one of the main developers and I'm trying my
best to make it feel as a real commercial app. And of course, it's
developed 100% on Debian Sid, so making packages for Debian is pretty
straight forward. If anybody wants to help, please let me know.

Luis M
System Administrator/Web Developer
LatinoMixed.com

lemsx1@latinomixed.com

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and you
work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" -- Steve Jobs
in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

 http://www.latinomixed.com/