Re: ~/.Xmodmap and Gnome

Hi,

> What about Keyboard Shortcuts?

If the mentioned keys would be defined as desired, I would use the
"keyboard Shortcuts" to finally use my keys, but they don't work :-(

> Did you remember to give execution permissions to your script?
>        chmod 755 what-ever-name-it-has
> because it really worked for me and for some other people as well!

Yes, I only need to do a "./myscript" and the keys are defined. But this
should happen automaticly. And I would like to use ~/.Xmodmap because
it's done for such uses.

> [...]
> So instead of continuing hacking around these
> problems with .Xmodmap (as everyone has been doing until now), it is
> probably a better idea to file bugs so that it can work out of the box
> for everyone, if possible.

I don't think that everyone need those keys, because they are special
keys for my notebook with those special keycodes. I don't know if e.g.
every AudioMute key is keycode 160. If so, than it would be nice to find
a general solution. But if that keycode would be a shutdown key on
another keyboard, it would not be a nice method to mute the sound ;-)

>> [...]
>> but there is probably some reason why it was done (and that
>> reason is probably not to annoy as many people as possible). I don't
>> know why. Go ask the people who did the change.

> I would have thought that asking the question on debian-gtk-gnome
> would have met that one?

I thought that this mailing-list would be the right place for my
question, too!?

The only mysterious thing is that ~/.Xmodmap works fine with kde, but
gnome ignores it and says that I have to use the keyboard preferences to
restore it, but in my keyboard preferences I can only find "Layouts" and
"Layout options" and non of them makes it possible to include my
~/.Xmodmap.

A "xmodmap -pke" gives a nice overview of my keys. Where does those
definition come from? It should be possible to add my keys to that
place, so that they belong to my system. Any Ideas?