Re: ~/.Xmodmap and Gnome

Amir <amirtab@fbe.hs-bremen.de> writes:
> I thought that this mailing-list would be the right place for my
> question, too!?
>
> The only mysterious thing is that ~/.Xmodmap works fine with kde, but
> gnome ignores it and says that I have to use the keyboard preferences to
> restore it, but in my keyboard preferences I can only find "Layouts" and
> "Layout options" and non of them makes it possible to include my
> ~/.Xmodmap.

FWIW, I have the same sort of problems: Gnome keyboard handling seems to
break differently with each release.  I can't find _any_ way to make the
current unstable version automatically install my preferred key
remappings; previous Gnome versions at least allowed one to put a call
to xmodmap in .gnomerc or .xsession, but that doesn't work anymore
(other stuff in there is fine, so I guess gnome-session or somebody
actively _resets_ keyboard mappings), and .Xmodmap is ignored.

The `user friendly' stuff which is apparently supposed to replace
xmodmap seems quite inadequate, but perhaps it's a documentation
problem; can anybody give a recipe for doing _arbitrary_ key-remappings
in current unstable Gnome?

My current (annoying) work-around is just to invoke xmodmap by hand
once I've logged it -- but for some reason I must invoke it _twice_ for
it to really take!

Hopefully it's not another case of the Gnome screw-anybody-but-grandma
philosophy...

-Miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin