Re: Woody Gnome is not stable

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Brubeck" <mbrubeck@cs.hmc.edu>
To: "blfs" <blfs@comcast.net>
Cc: <debian-gtk-gnome@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: Woody Gnome is not stable

> blfs wrote:
>
> > OK,  after messing around with Woody Gnome for
> > some time it has struck me that it is not stable.
>
> Woody was released two years ago, and that was the version of Gnome that
> was available at the time.  If you want to continue running Woody but
> want a more actively maintained Gnome, install this Gnome 2 backport:
>
>   http://gnome22.alioth.debian.org/
>
> If you want to help improve Gnome for future releases, you can help us
> test Gnome 2.6 in unstable.  Please identify specific problems and file
> bugs reports or patches!

I want Debian to do well.  I am very very on board here.

But there is a problem with Woody and Gnome.

First of all I had a problem with dpkg -P not
removing libraries that were causing seg faults in
Gnome installation.

Then I was getting what I know is a very common
problem.  I ran the command

apt-get install gnome-session

Sawfish-gnome would either not load or beep.

Neither should happen.  I dont even think that gnome-session should install
without a window manager.
It depends on a window manager?  Doesnt it?

Anyway I still dont have sawfish loading without the
beep, and I had to load wmaker to get gnome working
without hiding the title bars.

IMO, from the point of view of the average user,
i.e., the windows users newbie.

The command

apt-get install gnome-session

should work and it should work with no problems.

Perhaps debconf should automatically request a window
manager when this command is run.