Re: Woody Gnome is not stable

Am Di, den 08.06.2004 schrieb blfs um 4:54:

> Neither should happen.  I dont even think that gnome-session should install
> without a window manager.
> It depends on a window manager?  Doesnt it?

IMO it doesn't and shouldn't depend on a window manager.

> Anyway I still dont have sawfish loading without the
> beep, and I had to load wmaker to get gnome working
> without hiding the title bars.
>
> IMO, from the point of view of the average user,
> i.e., the windows users newbie.

One work: tasksel.  Or install the metapackage, IMHO it is called
gnome-desktop or similar.

> The command
>
> apt-get install gnome-session
>
> should work and it should work with no problems.

In an ideal world...  if you want to really help Debian, then help
testing Sarge and stop complainig about a two-year-old release that
nobody can and will fix.  Stable Debian releases won't get random
features added, that's what "stable" is about.

> Perhaps debconf should automatically request a window
> manager when this command is run.

No, it shouldn't.  Debconf is too talkative already.

--
Best Regards,  | This signature is currently under construction.
 Sebastian     | Please check back later!