Re: gconf craziness

The standard way to tell a process to die nicely is with SIGINT, which
is the default signal used by kill, pkill, and killall.  -9 (or SIGKILL)
is an uncatchable signal, while HUP and INT are both catchable.
Processes that do not catch signals will use the default signal handler
which is to immediately exit without saving anything.

So if you want programs to die and you want to be nice, use INT.  If you
want programs to reload their config if they support it or die trying,
use HUP.

-Rob