Re: gconf craziness

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, John Leach wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 11:25, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > Have you tried to restart the box ?
>
> Admittedly no, but I've restarted X and killed all processes belonging
> to my user (using "pkill -HUP -U john").
>
> I can't imagine a reboot will do anything different but I'll give it a
> go tomorrow as suggested.
>
> John.

Very much so. Processes started before the upgrade of xlibs will still
have the old .so in memory, and only exiting the app in question will
remedy tghe situation; pkill -HUP merely causes them to reread their
config, but not exit; as such they will still be using the old lib.

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

PS: strictly speaking it is not necessary to reboot the box, but you do
have to exit all apps that use the lib in question, and it may be easy
to overlook one. But, going to runlevel 1 and to 2 again should also
work.

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz@ULYSSIS.Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."