gconf craziness

Hi,

I've dist-upgraded from the i386 unstable and experimental repositories
to get gnome 2.6 and run into a strange problem.  When logging in, the
gtk theme flicks back and forth in quick succession between the default
and my actual settings a few times, then I get a message about gconfd
not starting correctly (not able to spawn a child process).  The Gtk
theme then doesn't work and the all the nautilus icons are just the
default white flip-page icon.   But my background image works fine,
along with my metacity theme and even gconf-editor seems to function
fine.

It's crazy because if run gnome-session to a remote display (via a new
ssh login of the same account) it all works perfectly.  No gconf
complaints and no gtk theme problems.

I'm having trouble pinpointing the problem using strace, but it does
show that gconf is failing to find a particular linc-????-?-* file in
/tmp/orbit-john whilst the flicking is occurring.

I've put off reporting this since Friday just in case it was being
caused by some out of sync packages or something.  I'm still not
convinced it isn't though.

Any ideas?

John.
--
GPG: B89C D450 5B2C 74D8 58FB A360 9B06 B5C2 26F0 3047
WEB: http://www.johnleach.co.uk