Re: 2.6 Keyboard capplet

Hi,

The `keyboard capplet' I see (I'm using Gnome 2.6 from experimental)
doesn't look very useful though -- it basically allows you to change a
few modifier type things and select your keyboard type from a list (my
keyboard, of course, isn't on the list :-( ), but seems to offer no way
of doing any real key rebinding.

Using xmodmap, I knew how to do key rebinding, and could even use the
`xkeycaps' program to make it easy, but the new xkb infrastructure seems
crazily complicated and hard to understand, so I'm not sure what the
hell I'm supposed to do (the docs are typical X docs -- full of every
detail, but almost no high-level guidance).  I suppose xmodmap was also
cryptic, but at least it was familiar.

So is there any reasonably simple way to rebind a key in the new order?

As far as I understand keyboard capplet provides gui for setxkbmap command. If you want some custom keyboard layout, try editing your some layout file provided with X windows. Layouts for most of European languages for example can be found in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc. If you rename your new layout file, capplet will probably will not see it. You will have to set it manually in gconf, desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb/layout. That's how I forced capplet to use my custom layout.

Mpiktas