Re: Gnome2.2 backport and XFree86 4.3 on woody [was R:e XFree86 4.3 in Woody]

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 20:38, Michael Bennett Cohn wrote:
> On 21 Aug 2003 09:07:39 -0400
> James Strandboge <jstrand1@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>

> > The main way I advertised the backport was through this list and
> > debianplanet.org.  Both of those have these instructions.  As for
> > others, I would like them to have proper instructions, but there isn't
> > much I can do.
>
> Here are the instructions you posted earlier in this thread:
>
> apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade
> apt-get install gnome-core
> and optionally:
> apt-get install gnome gnome-fifth-toe gdm
>
> Here are the instructions from your post that is linked to the announcement at debian planet:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install gnome-core gdm gtk2-engines*
> For the gnome2.2 development packages, you can do:
> apt-get install gnome-core-devel
> And to pull in various other pieces of gnome software, do:
> apt-get install gnome
> ...You can optionally do an 'apt-get -u dist-upgrade' which will pull in
> all the development support packages that were needed to compile these
> (eg backported automake, debconf, etc).

When that was posted on debianplanet, xfree86 was not part of of my
backport.  After it was, I let people know via the list.  I am not sure
what you are trying to accomplish here, but I have submitted another
article to debianplanet, and when it goes through, I will ask gnome.org
to update their link for getting gnome on debian.

> So, as a user of Woody who was becoming part of this via a backport (already somewhere

> between stable and unstable in Debian terms), I was having trouble sorting out the relationship

> between what I was capable of using on my system and what the Fifth Toe project considers stable

> (in Gnome terms). Plus, if the Fifth Toe is going to have monthly releases, did that then mean

> that with this Fifth Toe backport, I would be able to download and use next month's Fifth Toe

>  releases? Would they be cycled into the Fifth Toe backport server? After some searching today,

> I found
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2003/debian-gtk-gnome-200304/msg00170.html
> which clarified things somewhat, though it doesn't completely clarify the issue. Of course it's

> at your discretion which packages you want to backport; I just want to be clear on what the

>  backport can do and what it can't do.

No, as I said, I don't follow sid (and by extension fifth toe) from
release to release.  With the backport you now have everything you need
to compile bleeding edge gnome2 and gtk2 applications all you want.  I
try to keep the backport as stable as possible, and not introduce a
whole lot of new stuff.  I did not backport all of fifth toe, nor do I
track for each new change-- it moves too quickly, as does sid.

The general idea for gnome-core is to use the packages found from
released gnome (gnome.org-- now at 2.2), and updating only the packages
with significant bugfixes.  For gnome-fifth-toe and the other apps, you
get relatively new software that works.  If you want more than that,
there is sid.

> In each case, aptitude told me I already

> had the package in question, and then offered to remove others. Do you know why?
>

> The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
>   kdebase-libs kdelibs3 kdelibs3-bin libkonq3 libqt2

This is aptitude realizing that nothing is using these libraries, it has
nothing to do with evolution or the backport.  KDE from woody can be
installed with the backport without problems.

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP ID:   26384A3A