Re: Gnome2.2 backport and XFree86 4.3 on woody [was R:e XFree86 4.3 in Woody]

With more help from friends at #debian, I actually managed to get rid of the offending XFree86 files. I then finished the backport install according to James' instructions.

In general, it seems to be working.  But I have a few concerns:

1) I think that James and whoever is promoting his backport should have the explanation and instructions he gave me earlier in this thread clearly displayed on the relevant web pages. The average woody user does not subscribe to this list.

2) Every time I install something related to gnome that I didn't have before, I get Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library  without further qualifications. However, so far, this has not produced a problem that I am aware of.

3) Gnome2.2 runs much slower than the old Gnome, on the same box. I'm hoping that this ponderousness is a feature of Gnome itself and not related to the backport.

4) James' backport includes an option for Fifth Toe, which I installed. Nice, but as I understand it, Fifth Toe is a constantly updating subsystem of Gnome. So how do changes/updates to Fifth Toe connect to using the backport?

5) Sylpheed does not seem to be working well with Gnome2.2. For example, the help menu toolbar button does not open sylpheed-doc, even though I have it, and certain widgets within the sylpheed configuration GUI do not respond properly do mouse clicks. This may be a bug with sylpheed, or with gnome, or it could be the result of my own mistakes, but I thought I should mention it here first to make sure it had nothing to do with the backport.

6) ...which leads to the more general question: if I'm running the backport of Gnome2.2 on a woody system, how much trouble can i expect to run into when using "gnome-compatible" packages that were not a part of the backport? Obviously, a package that is just plain a part of the old gnome, and has no place in 2.2, shouldn't be expected to work without problems in 2.2. But take something like Sawfish. Officially, it's not part of gnome, right? And yet, as a woody user, I don't have access to the most recent version of it (I think). So, while it should technically work, packages like woody's Sawfish, that are made to be sympatico with gnome, are probably expecting to find the old version of gnome. Is this a problem? How does the end-user with woody and the backport know which woody-gnome packages are going to get along with the backport?

mbc