Gnome2.2 backport and XFree86 4.3 on woody [was R:e XFree86 4.3 in Woody]

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 00:44, Michael Bennett Cohn wrote:

I am taking this to a public forum so others can (hopefully) benefit.

> James,
>
> I know you're not responsible for backporting xfree86. It seems to me, however, that all the

> discussion of your project in relation to xfree86, in various threads, even some you're

> apparently not involved in, like the one at

> http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/debian/user/2003/03/msg01356.html, is not so much about

> trying to make your backport work with other backports, but about trying to make it work to begin

> with.

That is not quite accurate.  Woody ships with xfree86 4.1.  libxft2 is
required by gnome2.2, and appears first in xfree86 4.2 (again, not in
official woody).  xfree86 4.3 has an upgraded freetype that is
incompatible with woody.  As such, people trying to install the gnome2.2
backport on standard woody need to upgrade xfree86 to 4.2, and not 4.3.
There were some dependency issues when the gnome2.2 backport first came
out in February 2003 (one being that I provided an upgraded freetype,
but later learned of the problems of using freetype 2.1 on woody, and
downgraded it), but these have been fixed.  Though these have been
posted elsewhere, the official instructions for installing the gnome2.2
backport on woody are:

Add to sources.list one of these:
deb
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody gnome2.2/
deb http://mirror.raw.no/ gnome2.2/

and have these Official woody lines (using an appropriate mirror):
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

I recommend NOT having any other lines in sources.list.  If you have
other lines, there may be conflicts.

Then do:
apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade
apt-get install gnome-core

and optionally:
apt-get install gnome gnome-fifth-toe gdm

I have done this on many machines without issue, and have many off list
emails from people with similar experiences.  However, there are several
GBs worth of software in woody, so there may be an occasional conflict.
I encourage everyone who finds these problems to contact me-- I can
usually fix dependency issues within 24 hours.

I made the mistake of initially posting installation instructions that
depended on an xfree86 4.2 backport that I did not maintain.  Not only
did people forget to add the line to sources.list and upgrade xfree86
before attempting to install the gnome2.2 backport, after being
available for a few months, this xfree86 backport went away.  To rectify
this, I took Adrian Bunk's xfree86 4.2 packages, and recompiled them on
woody with the backport, and now distribute them (with some additional
patches) with my gnome2.2 backport.  As such, the gnome2.2 backport is
now self contained, and should install without problems on official
woody (just make sure xlibs gets upgraded).

Unless you want to use xfree86 4.3.  Until recently, the only package
that kept gnome2.2 from installing with various xfree86 4.3 backports
was pango, because it depended on a certain version of freetype.  I
adjusted the pango dependency, and allow it to be installed with
freetype 2.1, even though it was compiled with 2.0.9 (official woody).
This should be considered experimental, but if you are running xfree86
4.3 on debian woody, you are already doing 'experimental' things
(xfree86 4.3 hasn't even hit sid yet, or is just about to).  That said,
I haven't heard of problems with my backported pango and freetype 2.1.

To get xfree86 4.3 and my backported pango (and thus the gnome2.2
backport) to work, you must have these versions of software installed:

fontconfig	2.1
freetype	2.1
libxft2		2.1

I do not supply xfree86 4.3 packages with the gnome2.2 backport, so it
is up to you to get the above software and xfree86 4.3 installed on your
system before attempting to install the gnome2.2 backport.  Note that
sid currently has 2.2 versions for fontconfig-- this won't work.

Also, for the record-- my backport will NOT work with Adrian Bunk's
packages.  If you have them installed, you must remove them (at least
xfree86, freetype, fontconfig and libxft2-- but maybe more).  This is a
common problem.  In general, mixing backports can be a really bad idea.
I do not make any guarantees on using my gnome2.2 backport with any
other backport-- with the exception of the semi-official openoffice.org
woody backport.

> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   gdm: Depends: libbonoboui2-0 (>= 2.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
>        Depends: libgconf2-4 (>= 2.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
>        Depends: libglade2-0 (>= 2.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
>        Depends: libgnome2-0 (>= 2.1.90) but it is not going to be installed
>        Depends: libgnomecanvas2-0 (>= 2.1.90) but it is not going to be installe
>        Depends: libgnomeui-0 (>= 2.1.90) but it is not going to be installed
>        Depends: libgnomevfs2-0 (>= 2.2.2) but it is not going to be installed
>        Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.2.1) but it is not going to be installed
>        Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.2.1) but it is not going to be installed

As discussed above, pango is most likely the problem.  gtk+2.0 depends
on pango and everything else in gnome (more or less) depends on gtk+2.0.

What is the output of each of these commands?

dpkg -l|grep freetype
dpkg -l|grep fontconfig
dpkg -l|grep xlibs
dpkg -l|grep libxft2