Re: Gnome2.2 backport and XFree86 4.3 on woody [was R:e XFree86 4.3 in Woody]

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 15:03, Michael Bennett Cohn wrote:
> With more help from friends at #debian, I actually managed to get rid of the offending XFree86 files. I then finished the backport install according to James' instructions.
>
> In general, it seems to be working.  But I have a few concerns:
>
> 1) I think that James and whoever is promoting his backport should have the explanation

> and instructions he gave me earlier in this thread clearly displayed on the relevant web pages.

>  The average woody user does not subscribe to this list.

The main way I advertised the backport was through this list and
debianplanet.org.  Both of those have these instructions.  As for
others, I would like them to have proper instructions, but there isn't
much I can do.

> 2) Every time I install something related to gnome that I didn't have before, I get

> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library  without further qualifications.

> However, so far, this has not produced a problem that I am aware of.

Your locales are not setup.  This is not gnome but your system.
'dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales' and setup a locale.

> 3) Gnome2.2 runs much slower than the old Gnome, on the same box. I'm hoping that this

> ponderousness is a feature of Gnome itself and not related to the backport.

This is true in general for gnome2.2, especially with the RENDER
extension turned on (anti-aliased text).

> 4) James' backport includes an option for Fifth Toe, which I installed. Nice, but as

> I understand it, Fifth Toe is a constantly updating subsystem of Gnome. So how do

> changes/updates to Fifth Toe connect to using the backport?

'subsystem of gnome'?  No-- it is a collection of packages.  I backport
what is interesting to me (as maintainer, I have that right), and what
others bring to my attention that I think won't hurt anything and be
beneficial to others.  I maintain security updates, and often point
releases.  I do NOT follow sid release for release though-- unless there
is a bug fix.

> 5) Sylpheed does not seem to be working well with Gnome2.2. For example, the help menu

> toolbar button does not open sylpheed-doc, even though I have it,

Configuration/Common Preferences/Other/Web browser

> and certain widgets

> within the sylpheed configuration GUI do not respond properly do mouse clicks.

Can you be more specific?  I just tested darn near every widget and it
works fine here.

> 6) ...which leads to the more general question: if I'm running the backport of Gnome2.2 on a

> woody system, how much trouble can i expect to run into when using "gnome-compatible" packages

> that were not a part of the backport? Obviously, a package that is just plain a part of the old

> gnome, and has no place in 2.2, shouldn't be expected to work without problems in 2.2. But take

> something like Sawfish. Officially, it's not part of gnome, right? And yet, as a woody user, I

> don't have access to the most recent version of it (I think). So, while it should technically work,

>  packages like woody's Sawfish, that are made to be sympatico with gnome, are probably expecting

> to find the old version of gnome. Is this a problem? How does the end-user with woody and the

> backport know which woody-gnome packages are going to get along with the backport?

I backported sawfish-- it works fine with gnome2.2.  As for gnome1.4
packages, they should be fine since the libraries they depend on can be
installed in parallel.  In practice, two rather large gnome1.4 apps--
gnucash 1.8 and evolution 1.2 worked fine under the backport.

The only apps that really have trouble in gnome2.2 are applets from
gnome1.4, since the panel changed so much.

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP ID:   26384A3A