Re: Debian GNOME Policy, Mark II

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 03:08, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Consider gnome-vfs-extras, which is split out in upstream for licensing
> reasons. That's already rough, but if it were split into its component
> methods, they would be very hard to 'discover'.
>
> An easy answer to this is that users should always use the 'gnome'
> metapackage, but that's not always how users work. ;-)

A decent corollary to this question is whether the Desktop task will
just have GNOME and KDE (and whatever else) and let these be
automatically pulled in.

Splitting gnomevfs-extras2 out into two gnomevfs-methods-{smb,rio500}
wouldn't be a big deal for me, but there's the whole discoverability
thing, too.

As well - should gnome-vfs-extras2 be among the dependencies for the
gnome metapackage? It's now Suggested by libgnomevfs itself, but the
desktop as a whole is enhanced by it..